Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Weekend at the Movies - Superman Returns

I watched Superman Returns last Saturday. It was much longer than I expected (2 hours and 30 odd minutes) and as character driven and emotionally complex as most of Bryan Singer's movies tend to be (Case in point - X2: X-men United). I was left wondering why Spacey portrayed Lex Luthor the way he did. His interpretation of a very verbose and maniacal Luthor, what with his bizarre collection of wigs and all, was a tad annoying. On a brighter note, Brandon Routh (and Singer is an absolute genius for casting him) was perfect for the role of Clark Kent/Superman. Not only does he bear a very striking resemblance to the late Christopher Reeve (who will always be THE Superman) he carries the entire movie very well.

Bryan Singer is a brilliant director. This is, after all, the man who made The Usual Suspects when he was 29! He has an incredible talent for directing movies adapted from comics. The first two X-men movies were outstanding and I look forward to the Superman Returns sequel. Just hope it's less than two hours this time!!

On a side note, our plans for lunch at the food court in Majestic City were cut short that day because of the massive crowd. It may have been just that one day (never have seen the place like that before) but it was really packed. There were groups of people standing right next to those seated and eating their lunch, waiting for the table to be vacated. They reminded me of vultures eyeing a corpse. I would not have enjoyed my meal if a group of hungry humans hovered around me the entire time!

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I too was very impressed with Mr. Singer's take on the Man of Steel, though I agree it was a bit long .. My only beef was with Luthor's evil plot which, at least to me, seemed to make very little sense at all

Pissu Poosa said...

In Superman 2, when negotiating with General Zod, Lex Luthor displays his love for land. He says he "wants something small....like Australia."

That premise was never visited again until Superman Returns.