Friday, November 25, 2005

The Week That Was November 21 - 25, 2005

After a mind numbingly boring week, I am going to drop by Odel later in the day to finally check out this "Bling It On" promotion they've got going. I've passed the store on my way to work everyday and thought "How very dull" each time I saw the billboards. I remember at one time the entire store was converted into a light blue castle - now that was impressive.

My shopping list is rather short - what I really want to get are those recycled elephant dung stationary packs to send out to my pals in the UK and US. Once I even got a wrapping paper made with the stuff. The recipient nearly gagged when she read the small print but being the pro-recycling, environmentally friendly person that she is, she soon got over it.

The one thing I like about Odel - and when I say like, I mean consistently - are the quality of the Odel T-shirts. Sure the sketched pictures of elephants, monkeys and porcupines and what not are very basic - yet the quality of the t shirts are very good. They last an amazingly long time - the black ones rarely ever fade and are available in a pretty decent size selection.

Been missing out on a lot of TV these days - as wonderful as cable channels are in repeating programs, I always miss the ones broadcast during the day. I have realised the price of a TV series box set here is actually not much lower than buying one in the US or Australia. There's also a very noticeable difference in the picture quality and sound. So when responding to requests on what I would like as a present/s for the season, I of course selected some stuff from Oz. Now I can just picture myself spending the last weekend of December glued to 22 episodes of at least five TV series.

Making a short trip to the bookstores on Saturday as well - I am going to provide exercise books for a group of kids at an orphanage. I usually give them food (rather unhealthy stuff like toffee and biscuits) but this time I wanted to set a better example and stuff. Since I take ages to make the packs (26 packs for 26 kids) I will be doing it gradually. I'm sure I'm going to be asked how come I don't give them sweet stuff anymore (brats!) but they will have to wait until next year for that.

For the first time in years, I won't have an annual bonus this year - what with my constant job hopping and all. On the bright side, I do get a substantial amount of paid leave and since I have managed to save my pennies this past couple of months, I can finally get that oh-so-cool Compaq laptop that I've been eyeing for awhile.


No comments: