Thursday, February 22, 2007

Things That Happen To Me When I'm on "Leave"

I took two days off work - Monday and Tuesday - so that I could have some (much needed) R&R. Man, was I naive for thinking that...

The minute my family found out I wasn't going to work on Friday, they were ecstatic - and I thought it was because they were glad I was taking some time to chill out and recover from working late nights at the office every single day for the past few month. Apparently not...the next thing I know I was being hauled out of my room and dragged off to events like kids' birthday parties (really), lunches, dinners and to meet relatives I didn't even know I had!!

The one visit I that I went along voluntarily was to my great-aunt who lives in Maharagama - that's not too far from Colombo but is a congested mess. My great-aunt is a very warm, happy soul and quite different from the other bitter old birds I am related to. She sent me on a few errands and one of them included going to to government post office. I expected this to be on High Level Road but it turns out the PO is conveniently situated off a lane off Dehiwela Road. It took me ages to find and when I did, I couldn't believe my eyes. It's actually right at the bottom of the lane (gravel road, quite steep) and is a house, not an office. No wonder she didn't like going there herself - I can't imagine how anyone over seventy walks down there and back! I asked my aunt about it later and she said the PO used to be on High Level Road but was shifted to the new location a few years ago and hasn't budged since.

I went to Asiri, Oasis and Durdans to visit a pal recovering from surgery, another who had a baby and for myself, to check my vision. More on that later. Driving around Colombo is a nightmare even in the afternoon. There are school vans that take over the roads after 1.30 and of course the buses are no better. I tend to miss these things on most days, and quite gladly too.

Met some friends wanted to go to Leisure World and almost dragged me along with them but I got out of it at the last minute. That's not where you want to be when you want some peace and quiet. If on the other hand, you are a "water baby" that is the place for you. The last time I went there, I had lunch at a restaurant called "Ambalama". It was great - the food was good and absolute value for money.

I finally managed to get a few hours to myself yesterday. I had a great time chatting with friends both here in SL and abroad, took the dogs for a walk and read one book (The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster). I also watched Kill Bill I/II and Pulp Fiction - just to remind myself what a genius Tarentino is.

The next time I take two days off, I'm going to pretend that I'm going to work and crash at a friend's place.....

No comments: